Saturday, June 18, 2011

Okay...Fine!



I really like this song.

As with most phases we go through (do almost-30-year-olds still go through phases?) I think this one is over.

I have been acting like a country music elitist...but the TRL-watching high school sophomore in me still loves a good, catchy song. I can't help it. And everything I've heard from Taylor Swift's latest album makes me want to go on a windows-down road trip.

What got my 'tude all revved up about current country sucking:

generic laundry lists songs that mention tractors, Jack Daniels, cut-off jeans, and Johnny Cash.

blatant product placement.

and my former Aussie obsession, Keith Urban's last new CD's, which sound like watered down adult contemporary pop instead of the groovy country rock I know he's capable of.

to name a few.

But I think there ARE still some awesome country artists still making music and writing songs from their hearts and life experiences.

Regardless of genre, I think Taylor Swift is one of those artists.

And Brad Paisley...WOW! This guy is super talented. Original...funny and amusing while writing songs you can listen to over and over...and respectful of the classics while doing his own thing. I absolutely love his new song "Old Alabama"

Side Note: I had 4 tapes that I listened to when I was a young kid: Ricky Skaggs, Alabama, Hank Williams Jr. and Mel McDaniel. That, and watching CMT with my Grandma Schroeder and Uncle Gary made me the music lover I am today.

So I suppose this post is me coming clean. Good music is good music, and no matter what it is classified as, it can still be appreciated and respected.

I've been around more elitist hipsters than I care to mention and I DON'T want to be like that.

Now I guess all that's left to do is drive my old pickup down a dirt road, crank up the Hank, and pop open a cold beer.

If I could only find my cut-off jeans...

No comments:

Post a Comment