Saturday, September 4, 2010

"Horse Motor Wheelie Trick" and Other Weekly Highlights

SO I'm super cool on a Saturday night. Just bloggin' and waitin' around for something to do.

My first week back to work after vacation was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It actually went by pretty fast.

Rewind to the week before last. We got our engagement picture taken! My mom took them, and Mike photo shopped them. It was free, they turned out great, and we had a great time roaming around downtown Ozark. I will try to get a slideshow set up on here. My Mike is so very handsome!

This weekend is my parent's wedding anniversary. They've been married for 30 years! Congrats Robyn and Harold!

Mike and I are looking after of my little brother while mom and dad are in Northern Missouri for a little anniversary getaway.

My baby bro, John is 23...so, as he reminds me quite frequently, is not really a "baby." But I practically raised him along with my parents, so I feel like I have to take care of him. He's mildly autistic; pretty much self sufficient. He doesn't drive or keep track of his own money, but he cooks and has a job.

And he's the most hilarious person I've ever met in my life.

When we were growing up, John didn't learn to talk until he was about 4...and even then communication was very difficult. He lived in his own little world. (pretty much all autistic kids do) That world was one made up of television, movies, music, and wrestling...he loved to watch professional wrestling. It was hard to get him to talk to us in his own words. He'd mutter to himself constantly and speak to us in quotes from shows he'd seen. That's the best way to explain it, but I feel like it's hard to give a picture of what he was like as a child.

God blessed he and my family with great teachers all through John's time in school. He graduated in 2006. He even received the "Character" award at senior award night!

Now, my brother has grown up...and opened up. I can't really get anyone to fully appreciate how much it means when he actually holds a conversation with me! His own words and thoughts are so great to hear after years and years of frustration from being talked to in lines from Nickelodeon shows. The way he says things is so...interesting and unique...

Mike was trying to show off the Mustang last night...which, of course, John thinks is cool. Today John told my grandma that Mike's car did a "horse-motor-wheelie thing." Or something like that.

And he wants to talk to me about country music, and the TV station I work at, and tell me about how he, "is just trying to stay fit," and exercise.

Sometimes when he gets nervous he still talks to himself. He's having a hard time at work with that. I don't envy my parents...trying to find that balance of when he's capable of controlling his behavior and when people need to be understanding.

I feel like I don't spend enough time with the little dude sometimes. Our schedules are completely opposite. I wish Mike and I could take him out to do things more. What 23 year old wants to spend all his time with his parents? (Sorry mom and dad!)

I worry about him being lonely. Does he know he's different than other people his age? Does he want to get married? Is it possible God has someone for him? I think maybe John could be in a relationship.

Someday, John will live with Mike and I. I worry about who will take care of him if something happened to all of us. He has plenty of people at church who love him. Could he adjust to a different life it he had to?

I hope he stays healthy. He informed me that he now only gets one breakfast sandwich from Sonic on Saturday mornings. That's a start, I suppose.

For the most part, John seems happy. He asked Jesus into his heart at church camp when he was in high school.

I know God will take care of my brother. I just hope I do my part, and that I'm the big sister I should be when he needs me.

That's what's on my mind tonight.

The weather is absolutely georgeous this evening by the way. I love fall. It's my absolute favorite time of year. That crisp air makes me feel nostalgic and excited for what's ahead at the same time.

There's a lot more I'm thinking about...but it's for another post.

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. That's an incredibly sweet post about your brother :) Thanks for sharing more about him. He's blessed to have you as a big sister! John is definitely a cool guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post, Carrie!
    He is a lucky guy to have you as a sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! John told me yesterday when we dropped him off, "Carrie Anne, sometimes you just really aggravate me but you have behaved yourself this weekend."

    ReplyDelete