Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Cakes and Catering and Venue...Oh My!

I drug Mike to a wedding show Sunday. I think he enjoyed it more than I did...I got a little defensive when people assumed I wanted to spend 2 months worth of paychecks so I could have a certain type of chair at my reception...

I don't remember what they're called...but apparently there's a hot, new chair trend happening in the wedding world.

So anyway, I had to be reminded to not snap at people, "We're having a small wedding!" "We're on a budget!" "Do I look like I want to spend $2500 on photography?!?"

"They're just doing their job...just nod and smile and move along," Mike says.


When I first met him 3 years ago, I thought he was scary. Now he's the little angel on my shoulder. A very handsome and manly angel.

Anyway-sies...Sunday was productive. We tasted the most delicious cake ever...ever! It probably means that we may have a more traditional looking cake. The electric guitar confection may have to wait until Mike's 30th birthday or something.

Ugh. I'll turn 30 before he will.

Celebrations By Sonja is definitely who we want to make our cake. They use buttercream icing, no fondant, and real fruit filling. The one we sampled had strawberries! Since we are such food network geeks, I figure our cake has to taste out of this world. I hope we can find some way to make it our own and rock 'n roll.

I thought I wanted to have our short and simple ceremony and fun and loud reception/dinner at the Springfield Brewing Company. After the wedding show and seeing how these venues that usually host weddings want to accommodate the bride, I'm looking elsewhere. From talking to the BrewCo, I think I might be an afterthought to them.

So, we are going to go look at the Santa Maria Lounge at the Knights of Columbus Diamond Room. It's really affordable on a Friday. I talked to the caterer there. She's from Simply Delicious. Trying to decide what kind of food to serve will be hard! I think the spinach artichoke dip with the manicotti and a salad sounds good.

And $4 a bottle champagne.

I want to leave all this wedding talk with something fun. I have some really cute pictures of my puppy, Cash, sitting on the couch with the remote control in his paw, but haven't uploaded them yet.

So I'll encourage you to check out this blog my friend Heather showed me...speaking of cakes! Hilarious.

Loves!
The future Mrs. Winchel

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh, too funny! celebrations by sonja did our wedding cake and we had our reception at the KOC hall :o) both were excellent experiences! there's actually a pic of our cake on sonja's website. it's the one with blue hawaiian flowers on it & a parrot on top, lol. i gave her a shirt & she replicated the pattern :o)

    ReplyDelete