Friday, August 27, 2010

Nothin' But a Good Time...


If you are a musician, or a music lover, you have to appreciate a good performer, even if you're not a huge fan of that person's particular genre of music.

Bret Michaels gets a lot of crap for...a lot of things: the show Rock of Love, his fake hair, wearing eyeliner, sporting his own T-shirts, being in Poison...

The list goes on.

I dragged my heavy-metal-loving fiance to see Bret Michaels at the Shrine Mosque on Thursday. Awww...Mike really loves me. But I sat through GWAR when they opened for Lamb of God in November, so...we're still not even.

I knew I would have a good time. After an opening band that did a rock-n-roll version of "Sweet Caroline" (Yikes!) Mr. Rock of Love ran out on stage to the opening chords of "Talk Dirty to Me."

I can karaoke the buttah out of that song, by the way...

Bret (I don't think he'd mind if I called him Bret) put on a great, high energy show for the next hour and a half. For a guy that had been in the hospital and near death just a few months ago, he gave 110%.

I've been to a lot of concerts in my day, some I'd be embarrassed to admit to. It's always great to see an artist who truly enjoys what they're doing, and really appreciates the audience. You know, when they just have that thing that pulls you in. Makes you forget your feet hurt, that you're getting beer spilled on your shoes, or that the time and hairspray you put into your hair was for nothing because you're at an indoor concert with no air conditioning. In August.

Bret is that kind of performer, and he truly seemed sincerely happy to be playing for us.

Plus, the dude knows why he's famous to anyone under the age of 35. He mentioned "Rock of Love" and thanked VH1...he doesn't try to pretend the reality show involving stripping contests didn't happen. I think that's cool.

The concert was also FUN because Bret knows what people want to hear. He sang some Poison hits ("Fallen Angel," "Unskinny Bop"), a few of his solo songs ("Go That Far"), and did some covers ("Sweet Home Alabama," "Drift Away," "What I Got.")

The audience could sing along with basically everything...isn't that why we go to concerts? So, I'm pretty much going to tell everyone that I partied with Bret Michaels, because last night's concert felt like one big bash. A bash I paid $30 to attend.

I love my share of underground music, and generally tend to rebel against anything "popular." (Current popular country music? No, sir, I don't like it.)
But being a music snob can really keep a person from having a lot of good times. I like a lot of "cheesy" music from the decade I was born in because it's fun!

Even Mike enjoyed the concert. When someone is sincere and passionate about what they're doing and the music they play, it shows...and if you can't jump up and down, clap along with the beat, and sing along, then you're taking life too seriously!





No comments:

Post a Comment