Saturday, August 21, 2010

More Like House

One of my guilty pleasure TV shows is "Bridezillas" on WE. Maybe I like it because I can turn to Mike and say, "see...I could be like these beyotches!"

Anyway, my favorite morsel of wisdom from that train wreck-fest comes from an episode where some ghetto-fabulous bride was talking (--screeching--) to a bridesmaid who was freaking out about ...something...something important I'm sure. The bride sasses,

"You at a ten and ya need ta take it down to about a fo' and a half!"

My default is set at about an 8.5. I wish I could be a "fo' and a half." Ever. Anyone who knows me knows I'm super high-strung and quick to freak out. I'm actually better than I used to be, believe it or not.

Which brings me to one of my favorite legitimate television shows. House, M.D. Brilliant. Though I liked the show better with Dr. Cameron, Dr. Foreman, and Dr. Chase.

I was watching a re-run of House on USA this week...I think it was from season 2. Cuddy had forced Dr. House to work in the clinic, and he walked out in the waiting room to offer $50 to any patient who would leave. HA!

All of a sudden a man springs out of his seat, and makes laps around the waiting room...screaming, knocking things over, and holding his head in his hands. Like a 4-year old who's parents wouldn't buy her an Easy Bake Oven or whatever the kids play with these days.

So this dude is going nuts. Just nuts. And Dr. House is just standing there. Watching. Even when the man nearly knocks him over.

Turns out the guy had had a cockroach crawl in his ear. It had started to eat his brain or something. Eeeewwww.

So, would anything have changed if the sexay-est M.D. on TV would have been like, "OMG CALM DOWN...this guy is going crazy...whaddo I dooooooo?!?" No.

The image of Dr. House just standing there, dodging this maniac with a curious, but calm expression on his face just hit me for some reason.

The most random things on TV will speak to me sometimes. I want to be more like Dr. House. I want to be calm. I want to be the one who can think clearly when chaos is going on around me. Losing your cool doesn't change anything. It makes things worse because no one's mind works well when they're frantic.

People have been telling me their own versions of this since I was old enough to worry about when my last "big girl tooth" would grow in. But I think most people have to realize things in their own time, in their own way, so it can make sense and mean something to them.

I obviously prefer to come to life-altering revelations through basic cable re-runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment