Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Nostalgia or Quality?

Are the things we liked as kids really better than what these punks today are into?

Is this math correct: Backstreet Boys > Justin Bieber? I say Yes!

This question came to me when I remembered that The 90's are All That. Thanks Nickelodeon!

But were they really? Hey Dude was one of my favorite shows back in the day. I caught an episode the other night. My God it's awful! Plot holes and obvious setups and bad lighting. Oh my! Did I watch the whole episode? Yeah...yeah I did.

"You gotta watch out for those man eatin' jack rabbits...and them killer cacti" after all.

I can't be the only girl my age who wanted to be Clarissa!




Maybe that's why I dress so crazy now. My mother would not let me out of the house in my Clarissa-inspired outfits when I was 10.

On the TV front, there's also Roundhouse, Salute Your Shorts, Weinerville, Saved By the Bell...I could go on. These literally shaped by raised-by-the-remote childhood I share with many '90's kids. Did they even shape who I am?

That's probably for another post.

I'm not up on the kids cartoons these days, but I do know that if you don't know what "OooooEeeeOoooo...Killer Tofu" means, then you aren't my friend.

It's not just TV, it's fashion too. We can look at the awful clothes from the 80's and early 90's...but notice that designers tried to bring them back a few years ago. Tried.

I used to be a big fan of *cough* contemporary Christian music. It is my personal feeling that--though I don't listen to them now at all--late 90's and early 2000's Steven Curtis Chapman, Third Day, Avalon, DC Talk, and Jars of Clay are far superior to the 25 emo-looking bands who sing the same pansy melody over and over again.

Just an observation. I really don't know anything beyond the occasional flipping through the channels and running across some video show.

Don't know what/who I'm talking about? It's totally okay.You don't need to.

So basically I'm wondering if I can say that my favorite childhood Fill-in-the-Blank is better than the crap they're cranking out now.

Or is it just that it's what WE know, what we understand from when we were trying to just figure things out.

And I always enjoy a walk down memory lane.



















2 comments:

  1. Totally agree on the Christian music front! I still watch The Wonder Years and Cosby! Those are the ones that I still want my kids to see too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED Clarissa Explains it All! I think I saw every episode. Salute Your Shorts and Hey Dude were great, too. Ahh...to be a kid again. Yes, these TV shows are better than what's out there today for kids.

    ReplyDelete