Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Asking Questions: Facebook

I know we’ve all had a conversation similar to this...

Person 1: “Hey, it’s been awhile...how are you?”

Person 2: “Oh, great...my sister just had a baby, so I’m an aunt for the first time--”

Person 1: “Oh, yeah, I saw that on facebook!”

Person 2: “Yeah...”

Or is it just me? I’ve been on both ends of exchanges like this. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it, and we could spend days discussing and debating how facebook is changing the way we interact with others...good or bad.

But I’m narrowing it down, to talk about the double edged sword the Social Network has become.

On one hand, it gives us the edge on keeping up with people we don’t get to see as often as we like because of distance or a crazy-busy life.

But on the other hand, I think the art of a good conversation may be getting dull.

Do we feel like we get our updates from the news feed, so we don’t schedule those “catch up” lunches with friends as often?

Since we know our friend’s wedding planning is going okay because of her status updates, does that keep us from (gasp) calling her and talking?


This article has some really interesting points as it profiles some people who don’t use facebook.

And, as in the example above, do we make people feel like we don’t want to hear about their lives...because in an effort to connect, we cut them off to say we already know what they’re going to tell us?

I’m not saying that facebook is bad. Social media has drastically changed our culture in just a few short years; in many instances for the better.

I’m just asking if we all, myself included, might bring a little cheer to our heart and soul by scheduling some face time.

No comments:

Post a Comment